Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday night

Well, what usually happens when you travel....the unexcepted!!!. I was in the middle of my posting last night when I heard a buzzing and then the computer died. I think that it may have something to do with the electrial converter. It has happened to others on our tour.
So I am in a internet cafe in Krakow Poland. We arrived about 45 minutes ago!
Yesterday, I learn about the Polish uprising in Warsaw in 1944. We went to the uprising museum. I have never been to a museum what brought you into the experience like this one. I was unaware of the Polish rebellion against the Nazis. The Russians
were on there way to Warsaw and stood by by the Pole fought the Germans. The Poles, courage, determination can not be understood. One of the ways the Poles fought, was by living in the sewers. They had a replica of the sewer for you to walk through. It was completely dark you couldn't see a thing and you could not stand up!!! People were absolutely terrified as they came out!!!! and this is without the sewage, rats and Germans pour gasoline in the sewers to burn the Poles out. Absolutely amazing!

We then went to Trablinka death camp. 475,000 killed in 16 months. Only the pictures when I can post them will be able to bring you there. It is in the middle of woods. The Nazis distroyed the camp and gave the land to farmers so there are no original buildings left. I have read so much about the systematic way that the Nazis planned the final solution, but when you walk the real site words are not adequate enough to describe what you feel. As we visited the site there were Jewish groups leaving and arriving after us. They were mostly young people and I thought how much our world has lost at the death of the millions. What don't we have today?
Today on our way to Krakow we went the center for the Catholic church, but more on that tomorrow, because I can't even remember the name of the place.

Not remembering I find is a real issue here. Each place we go to, each event we experience would be enough on its own to process, but during a day we move from one to another and it is bigger that my brain can handle. I can easily pause when I go to do and entry and struggle to recount what we have done, and my feelings about it.
It is a very unusual experience.

Finding with traveling that my stomach and stuff is not happy. Not really a surprise.

Because we have had to spend so much time in the bus I am blowing off dinner with the group tonight just to go out and explore the city square in Krakow. The city is so full of life. I am very tired of pork!!! and would kill for a diet Dr. Pepper.

I have just written about 3 more paragraphs that didn't save. Techno-babe I am not apparently

2 comments:

PandaEnglishTeacher said...

Mary,

As always, you're still "the BOMB!" I enjoy reading your blog and cannot wait to see your pics and hear all about the trip.

Ron

alias EVIL dr. H

hollywalthers said...

Hi Mary,
Glad to hear you are travelling. Make sure you keep all of your organs in your body. No emergency rooms for you! Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Miss you,
Holly