Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Night

Yesterday we spent about 6-7 hours at Auschwitz and Birkenau. I didn't write anything because I didn't have words and still don't. Auschwitz was the first camp and then Nazis emptied out the surrounding towns and the built Birkenau. The total area for the three sections that make-up this camp is about 25 miles. Just stop to think about how big 25 miles is. It was 32 miles from my home in Cary to Duke hospital. Maybe that can give you some idea of the size. Just the size of the camp is enough to give you a picture of how hard it is to comprehend what you are seeing. I will need more time before I can write about it.

Today we went to the Roma museum. Those of you who know who Yule Brenner (from the King and I)is might be as surprized as I am to find out that his mother was a Roma (gypsy). They were another group who was hated by the Nazis.

After that we had lunch as southern Polish national dancers and singers enterained us and drew us on the dance floor. You have hear the saying "white men can't jump", well Americans can't polka. I have some of my fellow travelers of video tape, I do expect to recieve payment from them not to down load it on this blog.

Last night I had the most delightful dinner with a student from the University of 155,00 students in Krakow. A Holocaust professor who was orgininally from Chicago, (my city of birth) and teaches from Jagiegiellanian Unversity (the one in Krakow). We had a great time talking about Chicago, and her student Sophia(the english version)(Sophia, if you are reading my blog, hello sweet girl!)was a complete delight. I am so amazed at the multiple languages most people can speak!!!!

We leave tomorrow, Monday the 11th at 5:30am (11:20 pm Sunday night Carolina time.) Filled to the brim and overflowing!. NCCAT (North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching) has worked for over a year to pull this trip together and it ran like they put that much time into it. Every thing was first class and more! Who has tour guides who have their PHD in related subjects? The standard of excellence shows their commitment to education! I have thousands of ideas for when I get home.

I can't wait to see all those I love!!! You know hwo you are!!!

So much to say but have to go pack! Thank you for walking through this journey with me!

3 comments:

Connie Duerr said...

I can't wait to see the pics and have a girls" night and hear about the trip. sissy and I have so missed you and can't wait for you to come back.
Matt is waiting to put your video and pics together for you before he leaves for Florida. Try to sleep on the plane.
Connie

Nancy Beyer said...

Mary, I just read through some of the postings; amazing. I am going to send the link to Elizabeth.I am so proud that you were able to accomplish this, as are Albert and Aurora, I am sure. We will talk when you get back.

Love, Nancy

Lizbet said...

Aunt Mary,

I'm soo glad you sound like you had a very enjoyable trip and learned a ton!! We'll have to swap notes about Berlin, because I was the only one in the family who went on a two hour 3rd Reich tour when we were there. I saw the Topography of Terror as well, and have a book I bought there if you'd like to see it sometime, I'm sure I can mail it or something!

Love, Elizabeth